Game Art
Gao Yuan Yi 0373945
GCD62004 Game Art / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media / Taylor's University
Project 1
Project 2
Final Project
INSTRUCTION
Project 1
Project 2
Final Project
REFLECTION
Throughout this Game Art module, I experienced the complete process of developing an original game concept, from early ideation to the production of a game-ready 3D character. This project allowed me to combine concept design, environment development, character creation, and technical production into a single workflow, giving me a much broader understanding of game art than I had previously experienced.
During the early stage of the project, I focused on developing the overall game concept. Inspired by cooperative adventure games and dreamcore aesthetics, I explored the theme of "Corrupted Childhood", creating a world where nostalgic childhood objects become distorted and unsettling. This stage included brainstorming the game mechanics, defining the visual style, and establishing the relationship between gameplay and storytelling. I realised that a strong game concept provides a clear direction for every later design decision.
After establishing the concept, I designed two playable characters with complementary abilities. One character, a soft plush rabbit, specialises in repairing damaged objects, while the other, a wooden clown toy, can reshape and transform the environment. Designing these characters helped me understand how character appearance, personality, and gameplay mechanics should support one another to create meaningful cooperative gameplay.
I also developed the boss environment, designing an indoor entertainment room that had been transformed into the Television Queen's personal kingdom. Combining oversized toys, abandoned arcade machines, CRT televisions, hanging cables, and colourful building blocks allowed me to create a space that balanced childhood nostalgia with an unsettling dreamlike atmosphere. This process strengthened my understanding of environmental storytelling and how visual elements can reinforce a game's narrative.
The final stage of the project focused on creating the Television Queen, the game's main boss character. From concept sketches to the final 3D model, I learned how to translate a 2D design into a stylised game-ready character. The most challenging part of the project was learning retopology and rigging. Understanding clean topology and preparing the model for animation required patience and repeated testing, but it also gave me valuable technical experience beyond sculpting.
Throughout the semester, lecturer feedback encouraged me to continuously refine my work, improving the character's proportions, details, and overall visual readability. This iterative process taught me that successful game art is achieved through continuous evaluation and revision rather than a single finished design.
Overall, this module significantly improved both my creative and technical skills. More importantly, it gave me a comprehensive understanding of the complete game art production pipeline, from concept development and gameplay design to environment creation, character modelling, and presentation. In future projects, I hope to further develop my skills in texturing, animation, and real-time game engine implementation, allowing me to create even more immersive and interactive game experiences.
Comments
Post a Comment